Favourite titles

Favourite titles
Whether it is "Redefining literary techniques and devices", "Justifying Papua New Guinea Literature", or "Translating the Bible into Anuki", these offer valuable reading for the paperless student of literature, and indeed the best sort of literary entertainment you can get out of Papua New Guinea. Check them out either on Soaba's Storyboard or The Anuki Country Press.

Saturday 21 July 2012

REJECTION

                                                               
By Ian Dabasori Hetri

At best I learnt
At worst I suffered
But the dream kept me going
In chilling nights under the empty skies
In wars I fought, not told
Against piercing might of mosquitoes
And chilling night breeze
Man past and present fought this war
Winning or losing, left not much choice

I have been there - Young, wild and free -
Fought the war of rejection
Suffered living death in my own blood's sword
Left to scavenge dirt in the streets
Cursed to rot in a makeshift shelter by my lover
But the winds of change blew it all away...

My pen, save my soul from the pain
The sorrows that gripped my heart like earth
hanging onto heaven on a tiny piece of thread

I have seen power of wealth achieved, used and trampled on
Love traded for wealth, like prostitutes yearning
to prey on an unsuspecting man
I have seen greed in disguise
Friendship built on desire to gain
But it's a war fought by many in higher places
where rich and famous dwelt
In lower places where I shared a piece of scone
with roaches and mites
And slept on a torn floor mat

Dawn birthed me... a new me
Born of courage birth and death can't hold back
A vision to soar high up the mountains and cross the rugged terrains
Where you nor man has ever gone
It's my paradise... Where rich and famous take pride
in sweeping the floor...
Where we fight hand in hand as soldiers of fortune
A tear of rejection before
And a tear of acceptance
A life to enjoy


Ian Dabasori Hetri is a free lance writer and lives in Port Moresby. He calls by at UPNG now and then for a chat with Steven Winduo and Russell Soaba.

This poem is published with special thoughts upon the memory of Russell Soaba's foster brother, Edward Jane, who took his own life tragically in Sydney after having lost a custody battle over his son.

No comments: